Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to School

That's right, it's back to school time! I am so excited to finally be getting back into college and finishing my degree. Tomorrow I officially start at Azusa Pacific University where I will complete my Bachelor's Degree in Liberal Studies. WOO-HOO! I'm on my way to becoming a teacher : ]

My very best friend, Katie finished her teaching credential this past June and was lucky enough to find a teaching job starting this fall. To celebrate her awesome accomplishment I made a School Supplies Cake for her. I was inspired by this found on Pinterest, of course!
It was pretty cheap to put together because school supplies are on sale right now. Her school colors are yellow and purple, so I tried to add touches of that.
To build the base I used an plastic cookie container, wrapped the outside with crayons and secured with rubber bands. To add some height and substance I wrapped three Lysol Wipes together and attached to the top of the cookie container, then added the folders alternating the colors. Next I added the glue sticks then secured that layer with more rubber bands.
I used a Styrofoam circle to create a solid level inside of the folders and added flash cards and few extra boxes of crayons. The next layer is 4 boxes of pencils, with alternating sharpeners and erasers. To complete the look I added purple and yellow ribbon, I even made the bow! I'm very excited about that!

I gave it to Katie and she loved it! She took it to her classroom to show it off a bit before breaking into it to use the supplies. I'm sending all of my good vibes and mo-jo to her during her first few weeks of teaching. I know she'll do an excellent job and make a difference in those children's lives. Can you tell I'm a super proud BFF?!?

Good Luck to all you students out there!

2 comments:

  1. That is such a wonderful, thoughtful gift!! I bet all the other teachers were jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! As a teacher, I would have loved something like this!! Great idea!

    Please feel free to link up your school supplies cake to my Make Yourself Monday Blog Hop! I'd love to have you!! :o)

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...